How to Clean German Shepherd Ears: German Shepherd (GS), large working breed dogs are reputed not only as loyal family pets with sweet temperament but also as amazing watchdogs with a powerful hearing having large erect ears. Although their ears are less prone to infection because of dry ear canals having well blood circulation, a new breeder may ponder “How to Clean German Shepherd Ears”. If you are a new breeder, keep an eye on the following tips to get your answer.
Though there is less possibility of infection or other serious problems in the ears of German Shepherd, it is still important to have precaution through checking GS’s ears a minimum 1 time in a week and cleaning at least 1-2 times in a month to avoid any risk.
- A best quality ear-cleanser or solution recommended by a veterinarian.
- Cotton pads or soft clean cloth
- Ear-drying powder(optional)
- A towel
The Way of Cleaning German Shepherd’s Ears
It is very much easy to clean GS’s large erect ears if you can follow the step-by-step process-
- Before your beginning, you have to get your dog with a calm mood. Give him some treat and command him to sit down to inspect your dog’s ears carefully. Generally, healthy ears of GS remain pink colored and naturally clean. If suspect any problems, then start cleaning very carefully.
- Fill the ear canal carefully with “dog ear-wash cleanser” and gently massage the base of the ear with your fingers for some time. As your dog may try to move or jump, you may need another person to hold your dog’s head strictly for about 30 seconds to ensure the good distribution of the solution. It will help to eliminate the odors, wax, and bacteria that cause ear infection.
- Now release the ear and allow your dog to shake his head freely. Use the “towel” to prevent the solution from flying everywhere.
- Wiping away the visible inner dirt using an ear ‘’cleansing pad or a soft clean cloth’’.
- Use ‘’ear-drying powder or solution’’ if necessary to eases any kind of discomfort, itching or irritation. It will also help to absorb harmful moisture.
- Your GS may have a good amount of hair in his ear. So, you can clean this unusual hair using a ‘’tweezer’’.
- After finishing the task, give some special ‘’treat’’ to your dog to show a positive response.
How to Clean German Shepherd Ears: Warning
- Never use alcohol or other liquid like this as a cleanser.
- Though using cotton buds instead of a cotton pad is very common, a serious accident may occur by breaking the bud inside the ear which may cause damage to the sensitive ear canal.
- Never hurt or rebuke your dog rather keep him calm with gentle command.
- If there is any sign of an infection including red or inflamed, blooding, smell bad or your dog show any sign of itching or irritating, never try to clean the ear yourself rather contact your vet immediately.
Following the above tips, you can easily clean your German Shepherd’s ears to ensure a healthy watchdog along with a perfect companion.