How Much Does a Baby German Shepherd Cost: German Shepherd Dog is a popular breed worldwide because of its wolf-like unique appearance along with sweet temperament as well as hard-working activity. If you are a dog lover and want to buy such an active dog, you should select a baby German Shepherd in order to make a good companion according to your wish from very early. Now, you may wonder “How Much Does a Baby German Shepherd Cost” and you will get an idea through this article.
How Much Does a Baby German Shepherd Cost
The cost of a baby German shepherd may vary depending upon the puppy and from where you get him. Some sources of getting your puppy with approximate cost are given below:
- A Respected Breeder: A German Shepherd puppy from a respected and reputed breeder will usually cost between $400 to 1000. This rate can be more or less depending on whether your puppy comes from a normal German Shepherd, show- dog or working breed background. A puppy who is from show- dog or hunting breed champion parents and has the potential to excel in these areas will cost more than a puppy who is from just average parents.
- Animal Shelter or Rescue Organization: You can also adopt your German Shepherd Puppy for a small fee from an animal shelter or rescue organization because these organizations charge only to cover their breeding costs. This rate can be $200 to $300 and not more than $500. Sometimes the cost may less than $100.
- Other Known Breeders: You can also search a German Shepherd puppy from your near-by relatives, friends, neighbor or any known breeder who are unable or cannot keep their puppy because of their personal or family problem including- lack of time, training difficulty, heavy shedding, and allergic problem, having more than expected number, etc. In this case, if you can manage one, this would be a lucky chance for you as there may have no cost.
Why Does a Baby German Shepherd Cost Vary So Much?
The cost of a baby German Shepherd may vary from dog to dog depending upon some relevant facts-
- The breeding background: A puppy who is from show- dog or hunting breed champion parents and has the potential to excel in these areas will cost more than a puppy who is from just average parents.
- Coat color: There are various coat colors of German Shepherd including black, gray, sable, black and tan, blue, silver and black, red and black, liver, etc. and the cost of a baby German Shepherd less or more depending upon these coat colors. For example, solid black-colored German Shepherds are very rare and that’s why the solid black colored puppy can be pricier than other colors. You can expect to pay between $700-2000 for this rare colored puppy.
- Size and Age: The cost of a baby German Shepherd may vary depending upon the size and age. To buy a puppy that is around 8 weeks old, you can expect to pay around $1200-$1500.
- Location and breeder: Location can also affect the matter of cost variation as the cost of a baby German Shepherd may vary slightly from location to location as well as from breeder to breeder.
- Training Fact: If you expect to buy a puppy who already has enough train from his breeder, you may pay more than an untrained puppy.
Annual Breeding Cost
- Standard quality dog food supply:$200-$250
- Veterinary bills including general care and laboratory tests:$100-$200
- Spay or neuter:$50-$200
- Internal and external parasite control medication:$100-$150
- License fees: $25
- Miscellaneous expenses including collar, leash, toys, grooming supplies, etc.:$200-$225
- Others extra cost including unexpected illness or injury: $100-$200
Total: $825-$1350 breeding cost may be needed for a German Shepherd puppy for the first year only. This cost is not a fixed amount, this may more or less depending on condition.
“How Much Does a Baby German Shepherd Cost” this would not be the main factor to you if once you get such an amazing breed of dog. Through proper care and training, you can have a perfect German Shepherd.