If you are a hunting and adventure lover, Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix being an adorable and natural hunting breed can be the best companion of you. This is an amazing designer breed also known as “Boykinador” crossing between the purebred Boykin Spaniel and the purebred Labrador Retriever.
- Why is Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed Preferable to You
- Why is Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed Avoidable to You
- Brief Ancestral History
- How would be a Full-Grown Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix
- How Much Socialized Would be a Full-Grown Boykinador
- How Much Care Do Need for Your Boykinador
- Is There Any Health Risk to Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed
- Life Duration of Boykinador
Why is Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed Preferable to You
- This designer dog has a friendly, cheerful, inquisitive personality.
- His medium size makes him a good choice for families with children.
- Being moderate shedder, easy to groom.
- It has a long life duration possibility.
- Being very active as well as a great worker, he is a dutiful partner.
Why is Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed Avoidable to You
- If you don’t have enough time and patient.
- As being an active working dog, a lot of training and exercise along with firm handling is needed.
- If you want a breed only as a family pet.
- If you are a homely person and don’t love hunting or retrieving.
Brief Ancestral History
The Boykin Spaniel is a medium-sized breed of a dog discovered and developed in South Carolina, in the United States by hunters in the 1900s who is recognized as the state dog of South Carolina. They were bred for hunting wild turkeys and ducks. They have some common interesting nicknames including Boykin, Swamp Poodle, and Little Brown Dog (LBD) along with their adorable appearance as well as sweet temperament.
Despite its name, the Labrador Retriever did not come from Labrador rather they were first developed in Newfoundland, Canada in the 1500s as a working dog for fishermen. They are called “Retriever” because of their ability to retrieve objects. Labs were brought to England in the 19th century and became a popular hunting breed in America after the Second World War. This breed possessed the highest ranking as the most popular breed in the American Kennel Club’s list.
How would be a Full-Grown Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix
Each mixed breed might carry different traits inherited from their parents. So, the actual physical appearance and temperamental traits of a Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix breed might not be fixed according to your wish as these are totally unpredictable. But some traits can be predicted from the parent breeds of Boykinador. Let’s have look on the potential characteristic of your Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix
- Body Appearance: With muscular and athletic medium to large-sized built, this mix breed has a deep chest, strong back, a straight underbelly, rounded eyes ranges from brilliant gold to a dark amber color, wide droopy ears sitting at eye level and hanging down till about the upper jaw muscular legs built for strength and speed, a relatively long neck and tapering “otter tail. Traditionally, its tail can be docked at the age of three days, leaving 1/3 length.
- Feathering: Fine hair with light feathering acceptable on the legs, feet, ears, chest, and belly. Feathering may take on sun-bleached golden to tawny color especially on the ears.
- Coat: His flat to moderately curly or straight with the medium or short length, water-repellant, smooth coats have various colors including liver or chocolate (shades of brown), black and yellow.
- Height and Weight range: Male may range from 15.5-24.5 inches and 30-70 pounds while females may range from 14-22 inches and 25-50 pounds.
As your Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix is a blended breed with genetic inheritance from his parent breeds, any of these traits can be present or absent.
How Much Socialized Would be a Full-Grown Boykinador
Though the fact of socialization totally depends upon how much training your Mix breed is provided, he has some inheritable sweet temperament from his ancestry which can be a good point for him to be a well-socialized breed. The temperaments of this mixed breed are very much sweet and affectionate. He is not only affectionate, congenial, gentle, and warm but also a curious, energetic, and adventure lover which makes him a wonderful pet. He can sometimes be described as energetic with great endurance as he is extremely adaptable to different environments.
He likes to co-operate with you and is always eager to please you. He is a good family dog who is extremely stable around children and other dogs. He can also be a little bit stubborn and might not be able to control his hunting and prey instincts from his hunting background, thus, it would be safe not to breed any small pet like a cat or bird together with him. He can be reserved with strangers but he will bark at suspicious noises.
How Much Care Do Need for Your Boykinador
As a mixed breed, your Boykin Spaniel Mix needs special attention and care. A good amount of regular exercise along with various dog activities including outdoor, running or walking around the dog park, playing a various game or hiking up a mountain, swimming, etc. are needed not only for keeping him fit and healthy but also for helping him to burn his extra energy to avoid being destructive.
Keep him and his living place always neat and clean. As a moderate shedder, well grooming is very much needed for him. Regular brushing his coat, fresh bathing according to his need, cleaning ears and eyes regularly to avoid infection, giving proper nutritious and diet dog food according to his age and gender- all of this care should be taken properly and carefully. Protect him from extreme cold and heat. To avoid any poor health condition, check his health condition regularly from his doctor.
Is There Any Health Risk to Boykin spaniel lab mix Breed
There is no dog breed without any health risk. Thus, your Boykinador is also not free from some health concerns who may possess some genetic health problems from his parent breeds as common health problems between breeds can be carried over to the offspring mix breed. For your pet, there is always a risk of hip and elbow dysplasia, heart disease, eye problem including Collie Eye Anomaly, patella luxation, hypothyroidism, bloat, skin problems, etc.
As these are seen in both parent breeds separately. Most of these attacks may happen in his old age. But it is a matter of hope that regular consultation with a veterinarian and proper care can reduce the potential health risk of your pet.
Life Duration of Boykinador
The life expectancy of your Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix can be about 10-14 years and sometimes up to 16 years if proper care and treatment can be given to him.
As an acute and super energetic pet, Boykin Spaniel Lab Mix can be your best choice if you can render proper care and training to your adorable pet in order to make a well-socialized family pet along with perfect hunting companion.